Monday, March 26, 2012

The Princess Bride (1987)

Inigo Montoya
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
The Princess Bride. Sounds like a sappy chick flick, right? Well, you would only be half correct. This movie is hilarious.

I love the diversity of people that participated in the creation of this film. Andre the Giant was one of them. At a whooping 7', he was clearly seen towering over the heads of the rest of the characters. I feel that his character was true to him, seeing as how he was a supposed bad guy who would not really hurt a fly. I think he plays his role as a gentle giant very easily.

The moments in this movie that I find amusing are many, and I am kept laughing quite frequently. For a movie based upon a previously published book, it does rather well. Honestly, I think this is one of the better book-turned-movie's that I've ever seen.

What makes me love it even more is the fact that it was a well loved book, but has since fallen out of the public view for the most part. Part of that is what makes a great cult flick, the being out of sight and mind of the general populous.


I love how during one scene, Westley, the hero in this film, has to overcome the three "bad guys" to rescue his princess. The first trial is a sword fight with Inigo. The second test is a wrestling match with Andre the Giant's character. The third and final test is a battle of wits with the leader of the bad guys. 

Of course, this film wouldn't be as successful if Westley would live the whole time. Yep, that's right folks, he dies. Or at least, that's what the rest of the characters think, except for Miracle Max, who pronounces Westley only "Mostly dead". Of course, Magic Max is hesitant at first to heal him, but then does due to prodding from his wife. 

I love how this seemingly has everything a person could want in a film. Action, adventure, fantasy, true love, a pretty girl, a brave hero to come rescue the fair maiden. If you ever want to just watch an older classic, without it being too old, this is the film to watch.



Pictures from:

No comments:

Post a Comment