Monday, March 5, 2012

Beetlejuice (1988)

Beetlejuice. This movie is strange, abnormal, unusual, and completely amazing. An utter Tim Burton classic. Tim Burton cartoon scenes, a very gothic and depressed teen girl who hates the country side, a vapid step mother, and a father who is ccompletely stressed out because of living in the city.


Then you have the sweet, old fashioned childless couple who just want to be left in peace. But, of course, the relative that just will not leave them alone to their peace and quiet.


I honestly feel bad for the Maitlands. I feel that asked to be left alone was a resonable request so that they could decorate their house in peace. I wouldn't want someone barging in on time I wanted to spend alone with my significant other.


So, when the Maitlands realize they are dead, they decide to try and get rid of the Deetz so they can have their house to themselves. That sounds more selfish than it actually is; when you watch the movie you understand why this is the case. 


I have a somewhat strange style admittedly, and I sort of like what the Deetz do to the house; but I see where the Maitlands are coming from because they don't want someone messing up their style.


Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice is quite interesting. His acting was great, the voices amusing, the actions hilarious. My personal favorite is when he gets the fly using a Zagnut bar. For some reason, the scene of him reaching up through the material on the table just gets me laughing every time. Probably because of what the fly says. 


Personally, I love the story, although the relationship the Deetz have with their daughter, Lydia, seems over-exaggerated in how bad it is. I honestly think that there had to have been some times when they got along. Lydia's obsession with death also seems extreme to me; but then again I enjoy life and the things that come with it.




This movie had a short lived cartoon series that was a spin off of the movie, mostly involving the friendship between Lydia and Beetlejuice. I sincerely wish that the animated series had lasted longer, but sadly, I seem to be in the minority on that view. 


















Images from:
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS472&nfpr=1&biw=1280&bih=699&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=YyMyNdMFugE5EM:&imgrefurl=http://www.thesundaygirl.com/2011/11/beetle-juice-beetle-juice.html&docid=wEpcR4ltvj2qXM&imgurl=https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg3j6MB9smQFxcmsnEm6Crqh6k7Z57MfRKebzGybkJkzhFFRaKjYvXwS1z14CUhGKF7w8Y5Spz6w2gbkn9p4z8onj3K6cEYobRRytoaj3EVZorGPy5rxUplzNfX_8s_ywjtOz8aosN6p0M/s640/Beetlejuice.jpg&w=628&h=371&ei=ADtVT7bGFsrG0QHw5N3ODQ&zoom=1

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Beetlejuice-beetlejuice-the-movie-964788_1024_768.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/bureina/beetlejuice.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment